Monday, March 23, 2009

Turkey Top 10

I had an awesome time in Turkey, I fell in love with the culture---I don't even know where to begin. Hence, a Top 10 list. Here it goes...there's really no order, just the speed at which my internet connection can upload pictures.

1. St. Paul's Church: Selcuk, Turkey. The entire area was beautiful, we explored the ruins and green grass. The air is much better in Turkey than in Malta, we all enjoyed the fresh air and sun. It was very meaningful to walk the grounds---for me they bring a sense of wonder and awe.

2. Temple of Artemis: Selcuk, Turkey (one of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the world). Another beautiful place, there's not much left of the original temple, but the remaining pillar was fun to see. Again, great to have fresh air and try to imagine what it was like in 550 BC.
3. Hotel Kalehan: Selcuk, Turkey. A nice little local hotel---they cooked for us, had very comfortable couches and even had HEAT. The decor was a little strange---but, the heat was very much appreciated. It's the little things. I liked the sign on the front door too. 4. Ancient city of Ephesus: Ephesus, Turkey. The whole city is beautiful, the pathway just kept going. The entire place was very inspiring, so old yet so beautiful. We saw the theater where Paul preached---it's huge. It had an awesome atmosphere. 5. The Hippodrome: Istanbul, Turkey. It is definitely spring in Turkey.

6. The Blue Mosque: Istanbul, Turkey. Beautiful. Everything about it was absolutely beautiful. I loved it. The lights hanging from the ceiling are incredible.

7. Hagia Sofia: Istanbul, Turkey. This was originally a Christian church and then taken over and turned into a mosque. I can't even explain how cool it was to see the Islamic writings next to the Christian cross. It is now a museum. It felt very peaceful. Very right.

8. Turkish Food. Turkey definitely wins for the most unidentifiable food. But, I found lots of veggies and tea. The tea rocks, I brought some back---I'll share when I get home. :) The veggies were interesting.


9. Topaki Palace: Istanbul, Turkey. The home of the Sultan, we were there for 4 hours and only saw 10% of it! It just kept going! 10. Great traveling experiences: Turkey. Between the connecting flight we didn't know existed until we landed in Bulgaria, trying to order Turkish food, attempting to put on a head scarf, navigating the 4,000 shops of the Grand Bazaar and everything in between, it was awesome.

Thanks for all the love and support, it was definitely felt in Turkey. Love, Audrey

1 comment:

Solveig said...

How true--it's the little things. I found your comments on air especially interesting. We don't usually think about the air we breathe. I know you'll be glad to come home at the end of the semester, but I think you'll always have a bit of wanderlust after this trip. Seeing so much changes a person's perspective. Blessings.