Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Show me a day when the world wasn't new."

The words of Sister Barbara Hance, the woman quoted in my title, and author Byrd Baylor rang true for me this morning. I woke up early and watched the sunrise, it wasn't planned---the bird living in our bathroom (yes, living in there-nest in the wall and everything) sang loud for all to hear at 5am. At first I wanted to roll over and go back to bed, but then saw light crawling in the window and decided to go up to the roof to watch the day come in.

I have a book for teaching, it's called The Way to Start a Day by Byrd Baylor. The words that we've read week after week echoed in my head as the sun came up over the white-washed buildings of Malta.

My favorite part is this, "The way to start a day is this-Go outside and face the east and greet the sun with some kind of blessing or chant or song that you made yourself and keep for early morning...your song will be an offering-and you'll be one more person in one more place at one more time in the world saying hello to the sun, letting it know you are there. If the sky turns a color sky never was before, just watch it. That's part of the magic. That's the way to start a day." -Byrd Baylor

Good morning, everyone. Enjoy the sunshine!
Love, Audrey

No comments: