Wednesday, February 4, 2009

People are people.

I love Malta.
I love Malta.
I love Malta.
Sometimes I have to remind myself, but I really do like it here. Our airplane almost crashed and our bus drives on the sidewalk, but apparently that's ok with everyone here. It's normal. I'm learning that lots of things are relative. Who needs hot water, plumbing, or heat? Apparently we don't. :)

It really is wonderful here, I get a little overwhelmed or stressed, but then I see the sea and it all melts away. The sea took a major amount of my homesickness out with its tide today. I have also been able to talk with family, they're wonderful. I love my parents. After walking around Malta today and also starting our orientation at the refugee camps, I feel blessed to have a family and support system. Without support I don't know how anyone survives. People are people. We all have the same needs. We may not all need hot water, but we all need to be loved. I may not know Arabic or Somalian, but I can smile and be present with the refugees. Sometimes, I think that is enough.

Here are some pictures of the sea. It looks different every day and gets more beautiful each time.


4 comments:

margaret said...

Hey sweetie!! Finally you've reached your destination. Heard from your mom about the airplane ride from hell...i can only imagine. I'm sure there are a lot of adjustments for you to make--hot water is reallly overrated--who needs it!! The pics are beautiful of the sea that you took. Water for me is very therapeutic. We can experience it with all of our senses. When the waters are calm it is soothing to our spirit. When the waters are rough and turbulent it is energizing and brings life to the soul. So right near you you have food for your spirit and your soul---what a gift. Feast on it often! Hang in there and know i think of you all the time! love you!!
P.S. Any starbucks sightings yet?!

Ricki said...

Yea, what my mom said! Lol. What a beautiful place! And I am glad to hear you made it there all in one piece! Hang in there; from what I hear (never having this experience) the first couple weeks are always the hardest?? Hopefully you can feel all the love we are pushing your way! We miss you!!

P.S. And seriously; any Starbucks sightings?? :)

Kelsey said...

ahhh the ocean! love love love! Is it warm?? I want to go swimming!

Natalee said...

wowww...
your plain almost crashed!! email me what happened @ my new mail address.(;