Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have you ever had worms in your food??

Sometimes you just have to laugh, or else you'll cry. We are trying to write papers and it is cold here. It's warmer than at home---we're grateful for that, but it's been hovering at about 40 degrees everyday. It is not that cold, but when there's no heat, it's hard to ever warm up. So, we find ourselves studying huddled under blankets, wearing layers of fleece and thanking our lucky stars that we packed wool socks. I think we've been cold since we left Rome Feb. 2. So much for the warm Mediterranean. :)

The night progressed as usual, we made a big group dinner, did the dishes and cleaned up after the day. After a night of studying and helping Kelsey plan for her Gozo adventure (see her blog: http://kmenfrance.blogspot.com) , the flat quieted for the night and went to bed.

This morning was a usual morning, leaving for class by 8, rushing through the flat, making breakfast, packing a lunch, trying to find notebooks and pens. My routine became, depending on your point of view and mood at the present time, either hilarous or disgusting as I finished my granola bar. It was good, some Maltese version of Special K. It was really good until I took the last bite. As I finished I looked at the inside of the wrapper and saw it crawling with worms. Maybe meal worms?? I don't know, they were about an inch long each, all crawling with vigor. Wonderful. I had granola with worms for breakfast. So, I walked the half hour hike to school feeling like worms were crawling around in my stomach as it started to rain, in which case our wool socks get wet, our shoes get soaked and we sit in a 40 degree classroom for 2 hours and listen to a lecture on globalization.

It really is funny, we've been laughing about it all morning. Thank goodness humor exists. That could have been a very, very bad morning. I'm still wet, and cold, but I'm not hungry anymore. Maybe the worms made my breakfast extra filling. Bring it on, silver lining. :)

Hope the week is going well for everyone, I wish you no worms and warm weather with heat. Love you all!

Love,
Audrey

2 comments:

margaret said...

sorry been away from your blog this past week. See what happens when i do that?! worms, wet socks, and cold weather. You have a stronger stomach than I! If i would have been on that walk to school my stomach would have been emptying every 2 seconds! Congratulations on keeping your sense of humor!! Hang in there!! Love ya!!

Kaye Glennon said...

What is it with you and long crawly things? Snakes... worms... seems like kind of the same thing! I'm finally catching up on your blog, and procrastinating on all things lent. Keep the faith!