Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being Present.

I am about 3 weeks from my family. My friends, my violin, long runs, familiar places. Other simple things like driving on the right-hand side of the road, hot showers, green grass, open space, being generally aware of what's going on in a given situation.

However, that also means that in a little over 3 weeks I will be leaving the island. And the sea. Other simple things like the market, the buses, the walking, the humor of always being somewhat confused. I also have to leave my students. Those whom I have come to know through our weekly meetings. That will be hard. I will miss them.

We talked at dinner tonight about the challenge of being excited for what's to come and also living in the here and now. Anticipating arrival in the states and also relishing every last minute we have here. It's a delicate balance, one that is hard to achieve. We've started to notice how many times "I can't wait..." is said. Although that often feels true , we can wait. This is the here and now. I want to make the most of every experience (even if it is another hour long bus ride on Christ the King). I am excited to come home on May 21 and tutor tomorrow. I'm excited to catch up with family and friends as well as wake up to Malta's sunshine. I will strive to be present. We all need a little encouragement every now and then, but we're trying. That's the important part.

I have a lot to be thankful for.
Lots of love, Audrey

No comments: