Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Interaction.

I love the people I work with on tutoring days. I admire the Somalian culture, one in which prides itself on close bonds. The men I teach are always talking with each other, looking out for each other, hugging, walking in sync. When we arrive at the camp they are often playing 'football' or sitting next to each other talking. They're always interacting with those around them. I think that is one thing I'll miss about Malta and the bits of Somalia I've seen through the refugees. Everyone interacts. They talk instead of send e-mails, go to their neighborhood market for food instead of flying through huge stores on their way home, eat dinner at the table instead of in the car. They move slower, but they move with intention.

The Hal Far Tent Village has hired an interpreter (even though we're only here 2 more weeks, it's a huge deal for us---he's incredibly helpful and makes things go so much smoother). Today I found myself with two new students and we started from the letter A. As I taught, the interpreter (also from Somalia) sat next to the students, with a hand on each of their shoulders gently translating what I was saying into Somalian. I saw the epitome of a kind interaction between those refugees and that translator. It was so, so cool.

Love, Audrey

No comments: