Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hope

Today I went for a run. I ran along the sea, through the city, in sunshine and in rain. It was good thinking time. I thought a lot about the refugees, it's hard to realize we're leaving in a month and there's still so much to do. But, we remember that each hour makes a difference and we keep trying. More students will come next year and continue the sessions. I referred a man to the Jesuit Refugee Service yesterday; there he'll get a lawyer and advice. It may take a while to gain refugee status, but we're all trying. I'm thankful for the JRS and the Red Cross. They provide legal council and advice. They are also there for us, helping us serve the refugees. Often our English lessons turn into assisting with paper work, filing for refugee statuses and practicing for interviews. Even though it takes months, these organizations provide hope. Hope is key.

"What color are souls? she said & I said, Color isn't that much of an issue when you're talking souls." -Brian Andreas


No comments: