Tuesday, February 10, 2009

'Voice of the American'

Today we tutored here. It's the Marsa Open Centre for refugees of political, economic, and humanitarian statuses. They're mainly from Somalia and Sudan, with some others from western Africa. I went wondering if we could be of help, figuring translation would be difficult, if not impossible. But, it was wonderful. I loved it. I wish we could go everyday. The two men I tutored wanted to learn as much as they could, we talked about everything from punctuation to grammar, to voice inflection when asking a question. They absorbed everything. They want to get out, they want to go to America. One man told me his grandfather is in Ohio waiting for him. He's been stuck here for 9 months now. He asked me how to fill out his forms correctly in hopes of being released. They told me they wanted to hear me talk, they wanted to hear the 'voice of an American.' I read books to them, a stack our professor brought with her. One book happened to be about Cesar Chavez, and a line from it says, "You can no longer keep your eyes and ears closed to us, you can no longer pretend we're nonexistent." The man I was tutoring gave a thumbs up when I read that and said, "Good line." It is a good line, it was a wonderful day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Audrey! That sounds like such an amazing experience! It sounds like you are doing some pretty amazing work over there!

margaret said...

hey hon!!
Sounds like this is right up your alley! It's interesting to go about our day to day lives and take for granted what others yearn for---our rights, our freedoms, our safety. We walk among these freedoms and don't even realize how lucky we are until we hear and see what atrocities are occurring in other countries. These refugees risk everything to get to our country and feel those freedoms and rights, hanging on to their hope and faith. Sure does make you think! Your mom tells me you guys have been skyping, talking on the phone, e-mailing, and instant messaging---thank god for modern technology!!! Good thoughts are sent your way!
Love you!!