Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Does Malta have monsoons?

Today we were tired. We had a big weekend of Carnival, many research papers on our minds, and a huge mound of dishes to tackle. We hit the 4 week mark and realized we've been going, going, going. But, we still got up. We walked 4 miles to the University in what we think was a monsoon. We sat through lecture soaking wet. We walked back, put dry clothes on, made lunch, did dishes. We looked at the clock, time to go teach English. It's my favorite part of Malta, but I'll admit it's a lot to take in---to sit for 2 hours, teach the alphabet, go over past/present/future tense, hear painful stories of loss and enduring stories of courage. It is difficult and wonderful all at the same time. I love it. The men I worked with today, Abraham and Ahmed, were both relatively advanced students. They have been in Malta for 1 year each and have jobs. They know enough English to get by, now they want to be able to truly communicate. They told me their stories, we practiced sentence structure, and we all learned many things. It keeps me going. Malta has a big part of my heart right now. :)

I had this in my mind all day today---especially when I woke up at 6am:

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven,
Light of sun,

Radiance of moon,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of rock.
(Trans. Kuno Meyer)

Hope all is well, love and miss you all. I'll try to post pictures when we go to University next week.
Love,
Audrey

No comments: